Andrew Collinge Training are very much aware how challenging these times are for ourselves, our partner/employers and their apprentices. We want to say a big THANKYOU to you all, for the commitment and consideration you have shown to your apprentices and that you continue to show. We are all adapting to an ever-changing business model, to ensure the safety and protection of our staff, clients and apprentices. The Andrew Collinge Training Team fully appreciates your support, which is enabling us to complete existing apprentices training and start new apprentices on their journey to become Hair Professionals or Advanced and Creative Hair Professionals.
Our goal is to provide the best possible training for apprentices so that they enter the hairdressing industry with experience, confidence and valuable skills.
The importance of this has been highlighted in the face of so much change within hairdressing and the nation as a whole. In response to these evolving standards, procedures and safety measures, we at Andrew Collinge Training have made some important modifications to the way we deliver our apprenticeship programmes.
This agility in delivery is not only reshaping the way we teach, it is also having a measurable and positive impact on apprentices.
During lockdown 1st Year apprentices were instructed using only digital methods for colouring and cutting theory. Upon returning from lockdown, we saw a 6% increase in the colour and cut exam First Time Pass Rate as compared with last year’s results.
*This number includes 5 apprentices who could not return due to shielding
Modified Classroom Schedule
- 1 week onsite with longer days of practical work—keeping sure safety measures are followed
- 1 week from home with virtual theory and functional Maths and English through virtual classrooms
In-Depth Virtual Learning
- Attendance and Registration for the day (via Zoom)
- Functional Maths and English virtual classrooms
- Hair Professional and/or wider curriculum theory and practical demos through virtual classrooms
- End of Day discussion to go over what the apprentice has learned (via Zoom)
Digital Tools for a Digital Age
- EDMODO for digital lessons, reviews, useful information and interaction with tutors and peers
- Zoom for virtual video demos, lessons and reviews
- Popular events, such as Intersalon, are being held digitally
Extra Digital Support for Those Who Need it
For apprentices who require extra support, we will call for a 30 minute one to one guidance call regarding their progress for both theory and practical.
Your support is invaluable and there are lots of ways you can help us progress and guide your apprentice to success.
- Ensuring they understand their Virtual Learning day is as important as their on-site day – missing it will mean they fall behind and will have lost out on practical demonstrations as well as knowledge activities to embed essential skills and behaviours.
- Ensure they abide by COVID safety rules and procedures and keep themselves and their colleagues safe both in your workplace and on the days they are on-site in Andrew Collinge Training.
- Let us know if your salon workplace including your apprentice has to self-isolate, it could be possible they are still able to complete virtual learning during this time and progression can continue.
- Keep an eye on emails, you will have realised we are sending important items to you for electronic signatures and it is really helpful when these are returned timely.
- Know our Employer Relationship Officers are here to help you and can be contacted if you have any queries or concerns.
- Don’t forget – you can ask your apprentice to log-in to their Onefile e-portfolio at any time via their mobile phone App, so you can see where they are up to, what they have and still need to achieve. We can also provide you with your own log-in if you request it.
- Carry on with your in-salon training, we know this is now more difficult to arrange, but it is invaluable to the apprentice and will help you to create a financially effective staff member much more quickly.